Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010's First Garden Harvest

The parsnip at the end of the row
The root came out of the ground nicely
So what happened to the nice soil cone I made in the ground?
Roasted and ready to eat


New Year's Day, with a foot or more of snow on the ground, I made my way out to the garden. The weather was cold but the snow is good insulation so I was pretty confident that I would be successful in the parsnip row. I brushed the snow away from the end of the row and found the ground was not frozen. A set of parsnip leaves showed up with a little more snow removal and I proceeded to dig the root out. The selection was not the best as the root had split during growing and had three roots instead of the nice long single white root I was wishing for. I cleaned the parsnip, cut it into nice chunks and oven roasted it. This was our traditional first harvest for 2010 with ten or more roots out in the garden waiting for later harvest. I think I will keep pulling them for a while; maybe take half the crop and let the rest wait till spring when they are really sweet.

I hope one of your New Year's resolutions is to increase your garden. Having failed to get the new enlarged garden space done last year, I am doubly motivated to make that happen this year. We will soon be making seed selections now that all the seed catalogs are in so I will keep you informed as to what we are deciding to plant this season.

Welcome to the 2010 Vegetable Garden!

Happy Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment