Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The new home for FIGGY - we will miss her....
A little quarantine before she goes in with the other plants and then outside for summer....

I have been busy and haven't even got the seed order done yet! I have worked on it and this years choices, but I just haven't gotten to the final list or calling it in. The weather is so nice that the seed order just begs for action.

Taught class at Fox Valley Technical College yesterday with the beginning horticulture class. We talked vegetables, made rag dolls, and even watched a video showing a tomato grafting robot at work - really cool. (Google -" Tomato grafting machines" and then images and look at the second image.) This will take you to the University of Arizona site and they have robot videos at the bottom of the page. Fantastic stuff these engineers when they get an idea to work on....

Sadly, we donated our Chicago Brown Turkey fig tree to FVTC because it had outgrown us! I had a hard time just getting the potted tree into the car to take it with me. The tree was a great producer and I asked my friends at Fox Valley to experiment with it in the cloning lab. I would like a clone of the tree if they can make one. Plus I got to see their micro greens production area - great space and the micro greens are procured for the culinary arts kitchen at the college. Maybe, with luck, sometime next summer figs too will be on their menu.
Happy Gardening

2 comments:

  1. A tomato grafting robot, huh? Sounds cool, but what I really need is a garden weeding robot, or a robot that chases away rabbits and groundhogs 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK,send that request to Penn State and ask the engineers for help - those guys love a challenge and yours is definitely one...
    Happy Gardening

    ReplyDelete